Saturday, September 15, 2012

Vacation time is coming to an end...

It's been around 5 weeks since I started summer/fall vacation - a wonderful time with family and friends to escape from daily doldrums and refresh mentally before winter sets in. A wonderful time of long runs, longer bike rides and beautiful swim sessions in pristine lakes. The joy of accomplishments finishing workout, after workout... Okay even I can't help but laugh as I write this. There were no runs. No bike rides. No swim sessions (at least in the workout sense). I did very little during vacation. I don't know how I feel about this really. I needed a vacation, but I do think I would have enjoyed a good workout here or there.

Overall while the workouts were lacking, the activity was still abound. We spent a few weeks at my parents cottage and I did get in the water, wetsuit and all, almost every day. I also found another new sport that I enjoy - Standup Paddle-boarding. This sport had popped up every now and then in triathlon literature as a great cross-training method for building core strength and arm/shoulder strength. It also looked really fun! So I rented a board from White Squall Paddling Centre and gave it a try. Although most people (myself included) look at standup paddle-boarding (or SUP) and ask the question "why stand on a board and paddle around when you can sit in a canoe or kayak". The gentlemen that helped me with the rental said he had the same thoughts, until he tried it, and was instantly hooked. It's true you can't quite explain why, but if you try it, you love it. The cottage is located on a fairly windy bay, and the wind added to the intensity of the workout. Many times my arms were screaming. I hope to continue with this sport as another great cross-training platform. Unfortunately like most things I love, it's not a cheap sport, with the average beginner board running around $1000.00. If you are interested in learning more, or checking out the equipment, RedNik Surf Co in Calgary can help you out. I hope to head there for the first time in the next couple of months - maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have an end of season sale...

Back to the topic of workouts, I have had difficulty with motivating myself as my season is over. Due to my work schedule, there were no more triathlons or races that I could easily enter when I was not at work or on vacation. Signing up for a race and paying an entry fee really is the best way to motivate yourself to head out on a run, or hop on the bike, or jump in the pool. So today, after receiving an email from the event directors, I signed myself up for 2013 70.3 Ironman Calgary. Yah - a bit of a jump for sure. May have been a bit impulsive on that one! I have only one sprint race under my belt, and it was a challenge to finish, and I just signed myself up for a Half-Ironman. Oh well, guess if you're going to do it, might as well go big.

Needless to say, I was on the treadmill tonight ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I just signed up for the 70.3 again myself! I loved the course, though it is a challenge.

    Have you thought about doing an Oly distance early next season before the 70.3? Either Chinook or Wasa are far enough out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I was thinking of doing an olympic distance, and maybe another sprint if they are spaced enough - the other problem is getting around my work schedule!

      I was thinking of finding a coach too, as I am a bit overwhelmed on the training plan front lol!

      Delete
  2. How to Watch Green Bay Packers vs Minnesota Vikings NFL football game.

    Packers vs Vikings Live NFL

    ReplyDelete